The Federalist Papers
Obama Disregarded the Wishes of 30 Gold Star Families in 2011 for Photo Opportunity
October 23, 2017 By Brian Thomas
In light of current debate over Donald Trump allegedly offending a Gold Star widow during his condolence call, liberals ought to remember when Barack Obama offended 30 Gold Star families all at once.
The widow of fallen US soldier Sgt. La David Johnson says she was hurt when President Trump told her during a private phone conversation that her husband “knew what he signed up for. But when it happens, it hurts anyway” (which White House Chief of Staff and fellow Gold Star parent John Kelly subsequently clarified referred to the courage it takes to knowingly risk one’s life for one’s country.
The media was quick to pick up on the story. But does the media always report on cases where surviving family members of fallen troops feel insulted by the president?
Major broadcasters were not so eager to report on former President Obama’s history of disregarding the feelings of grieving family members.
In 2011, a Gold Star mom came out against Obama after he insisted on media presence when her son’s casket was transported back the United States.
Obama came appeared with the families of those who’d died in combat. They repeatedly asked him not to bring the media, but he did anyway.
Obama thought that the photo opportunity was so important that he should disregard the wishes of family members in attendance.
Pictures were taken and were widely distributed over the news, and a full video was captured as well.
In order to allow for the photo opportunity, Obama had a policy changed so that cameras could be present.
Not only did he go against the family’s wishes, he actually worked to reverse policy which would have prevented him from doing so.
The New York Times reported on the policy debate:
As the Pentagon reviews its policy banning cameras from Dover Air Force Base, sentiment among military families appears to be running against allowing the media to witness the return of caskets from Iraq and Afghanistan.
President Obama and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said last week that they were reviewing the ban, which has been in place since the first Gulf war in 1991.
Families United for Our Troops and Their Mission, which represents 60,000 families of military personnel, including some who have died, asked its members last week in an e-mail whether they favored keeping the ban or changing it.
From their unscientific survey of about 600 responses, 64 percent say the policy should not be changed; 21 percent say that if the ban is changed, the families should determine media access on a case-by-case basis, and 12 percent say the policy should be changed to allow cameras to photograph the flag-draped caskets.
Despite only 12 percent of the survey respondents saying that media should always be allowed at Dover Air Force Base to publicize the return of caskets without permission from the families, Obama shirked the feelings of family members to change the policy, and bring the media in against their wishes.
All so he could have pictures of himself saluting the caskets.
Thirty families unanimously agreed to allow the President to attend the casket return and all simply asked him not to bring the media. Sadly, their wishes were disregarded.
However one feels about Trump’s phone call to Myeshia Johnson, one certainly cannot claim that Obama had more respect for military families.
Obama’s actions prove an unbelievable and indefensible level of disrespect.
My question is – would Myeshia’s deceased husband, if he were still alive, dislike President Trump as much as Myeshia does? Something smells here.